Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mountain Lady's-Slipper (Cypripedium montanum)

Nature     Ralph Waldo Emerson


 





This orchid has to be one of my favorite wildflowers. It is gorgeous! It is also quite rare. Furthermore, it is usually done blooming before I arrive in Wawona in mid-June. Each year when I first arrive, I go searching for this elusive flower. Sometimes I find it and sometimes I don't. This year was a bonanza!

Historically, the root of Lady's Slipper was used as a sedative to treat anxiety, stress and even epilepsy.

Some of these forest photos were shot near dusk. I needed a little more light on the flowers, so I took off my lightly colored tee shirt to use as a reflector (Good thing I was deep in the woods!). I was laying on the ground with ants crawling beneath me and mosquitoes swarming above, so I hope you enjoy my efforts.

If you are interested in learning more about this beautiful flower click the link to my co-worker, Ranger Bob's explanation why he considers this plant to be deceitful!

2 comments:

  1. They are old friends of mine as well. I usually get to see them when I am in Wawona in May. This year they were much later. Great Pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Blog Jeff! I'm lived in Wawona forever and already have valuable new information.

    Peace

    Karl B

    ReplyDelete