Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Alone-a in Wawona

Welcome to Wawona, CA. This is where I spend my summers. You've never heard of Wawona? What if I told you that I spent my summers in Yosemite National Park? I do both because Wawona is a small community located in Yosemite.

For many tourists, Wawona is hardly more than a speed bump on the road to Yosemite Valley, as they race to see roaring waterfalls, massive cliffs and maybe a bear. This blog is my attempt to introduce the viewer to another part of Yosemite National Park, a quieter, more relaxed area known as Wawona.

The entries in this blog will not follow any logical sequence. Primarily, my camera will dictate the daily topics. I don't promise to follow the Element of Style as I write my entries, but I will try to carry my camera around in order to capture visual slivers of my summer in Wawona.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Jeff. For the past twenty summers I've been Ranger Jeff. I work as a naturalist in the southern portion of Yosemite. Each season I rent a house from the federal government... well, it is actually just part of a house because  each year I have a new housemate that shares my summers with me. Sometimes these fellow rangers become great friends; other years they remain nearly the same stranger I met in June. I entitled the blog "Alone-a in Wawona" since every summer I have had to leave behind those dearest to me, my family, since there is no family housing for seasonal workers.

If you are guilty of visiting Yosemite and speeding past Wawona, perhaps you recall a quaint hotel and  golf course near the south entrance of the park. Congratulations, you just passed Wawona! During the next seveal weeks, I'll try to make a daily entry to show you what you missed.

This first entry will be a few photos of the hotel since that is the most prominent landmark in the Wawona basin. Most of my entries will have more photos and less words. Promise.

8 comments:

  1. I will look forward to hearing more about your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ranger Jeff! I am looking forward to seeing your pictures this summer, especially since I actually know where Wawona is (thanks to you and your family). Have a great summer in Yosemite. We sure will miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you're not exactly alone up here, Buster!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to look forward every day to your adventures. I'll be with you in spirit.I'll be anxious to see the History Center, and Chilnualna Falls.Thanks for doing this. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, what Ranger Kelsey said! You have plenty of friends and family in Wawona, not to mention that you have email and cell phone service with those of us "back home." And you are always in my heart and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, okay, I confess, even though I named the blog "Alone-a in Wawona" I'm not really entirely abandoned. The title was more of a literary device... not too many words rhyme with Wawona. I suppose you never heard of "Thrilla in Manila."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not so sure about "you're in my...prayers," but I agree with Wendy and Kelsey, essentially, TOUGH DUTY! Probably no more than 10 million people would like to have a job like yours(or any job therein), but go ahead and moan, just keep the blog up and operating! We'll suffer with Wendy by taking her to lunch in SLO or Los Olivos--somewhere where we can commiserate and count our bless-oops, woes! I meant woes! I did, I did! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am looking forward to reading more...especially tidbits about wildflowers. I have a cabin in Wawona and gone on a ranger-led walk with you to Swinging Bridge and back.

    ReplyDelete