Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Well, this isn't home. Home is in Santa Maria with my family, my bonsai trees and two cats that I don't claim. But this is the cabin that the government rents to me during my summers in Wawona. This is a duplex. My housemate and I live on the right side. In the past twenty seasons, this duplex has has been home about fifteen times. It's small but well situated near the library, the Pine Tree market, the weight room and a great swimming hole. I've been told that earlier in the life of this building it was originally the restaurant run by the May family. (The cabin next door used to be the movie theater.)


My housemate had decorated the cabin before I arrived. I have yet to meet him, but I'm guessing that he is a veteran seasonal employee. Notice the storage boxes concealed as a window cabinet. Also, the eye-catching beach towels used in camouflaging the NPS sticky, plastic Naugahyde-covered chairs. This guy is a pro. Martha Stewart eat your heart out.



I cleverly photoshopped the microwave out of the photo.

I know that after viewing these photos, many of you are wishing I would invite you to enjoy a few days of luxuriating in this splendor. Unfortunately, NPS rules forbid overnight guests. But if you visit I might microwave dinner for you.

7 comments:

  1. Too bad you can't capture your digs' interesting smell on this blog. But please, try not to miss last year's roommate too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of roommates, I forgot to mention the deer that like to spend time underneath the back deck.

    PS Bad memory. Who was my roommate last season?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that reminds me of when I lived in the other half. I didn't realize it was a movie theater--I thought I was living in an old restaurant the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Looks like the Hilton compared to what I imagined. I pictured cabins more like what we stay in at Ladies Retreat. The history behind your pad is great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, I'm pretty sure I remember the housemate that you had last summer. She was a brilliant and well-informed ranger. Cute, blond, and young enough to be your...wait, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um... to clear the record and maintain my already shaky image... for those who don't know; last year's room mate was Kelsey, my daughter.

    Also Jeffrey, both parts of the duplex were the resturant. It was the rental cabin (where the pay phone used to be) that was the movie theater. In fact if you look behind the cabin you can still see the foundation for the screen area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Real rangers sleep in tents or out under the stars - not because they have to, but because they want to! ;)

    ReplyDelete