Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Buckshot

Burrel Maier, AKA "Buckshot", has spent many a-year driving stage in Wawona. The ten minute stage ride gives contemporary visitors a very short taste of what it might be like to travel from Wawona to Yosemite Valley via wagon. The one-way trip was a jarring eight or nine hour ride (with an occasional delay due to bandits). The stage (actually called a "mud wagon") is the most popular component of the Pioneer Yosemite History Center.
 


Burrel is a good friend and one of the "Old Guys" on Wawona Staff. Although I have less than two weeks left in Wawona this summer, hopefully Buckshot, JJ and I will find time for the Boys' Sushi Night!

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Jeff! He sure is a special guy and a key part of what Wawona means to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi yall, We love you more that you know. Thanks for all your safety training!!! "We had a spectacular ride and do you still have the barn dances. I hope so. Thea Cline (A Volunteer from Pioneer Park!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My own children had the pleasure of stage rides with Burrel and now their children have enjoyed the rides also. He wasn't a ranger when my children rode. I'm glad the Park Service now recognizes what he adds to the Pioneer History Center's experience. Carol

    ReplyDelete