Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Biledo Meadows

Thomas Biledo (probably originally spelled Biledeaux) was a French Canadian that worked for the Raymond Mining Co. and settled in the area in the 1880's. This meadow is not in Yosemite; rather, it is in the Sierra National Forest. It is accessible from the Upper Grove of the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoia. It is about a forty-five minute walk on an unmarked trail. Many people believe that Biledo Spring provides the water for the many sequoia in the Mariposa Grove.

If you look carefully you'll notice that this is actually a two-story cabin.



7 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes. The little cabin and the back ground takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you show me where the unmarked trail is? I'd like to go and see that for myself. I had no idea it was there! Marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, its not hard to find. Check it out next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, what wood is the cabin made out of? And is the roof corrugated tin? I see purple, yellow and red flowers. Do you know the names? Also what are the trees in the background. I feel a story brewing in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Shannon, here are the answer to your questions:
    1)Cabin is probably made of cedar or pine.
    2) The roof is corrigated tin.
    3) THe yellow flowers are coneflowers, the purple ones are broad-leafed Lupine and the red ones are Indian Paint Brush.

    Good luck with the story. (If there is a dog in the story, name it Jeff!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Went there today and took some friends, I think it will be the last day to go in for the fall, before the snow. One of my favorite spots in the area.
    Bob Schoonover, Oakhurst

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas Biledeaux, misspelled as Biledo, was my Great Grandfather.

    ReplyDelete