Friday, July 9, 2010

An Old Building That Houses Great Memories


This is the Superintendent's Office found in the PYHC (Pioneer Yosemite History Center). Although I am not directly involved anymore in supervising the History Center, it still holds some found memories of the family and friends that volunteered in opening the cabins and providing a living history of Yosemite's pioneers.

For twenty-five years, the cavalry (horse soldiers) were the "rangers" of Yosemite since it was a national park but there was not yet a National Park Service. The infantry/cavalry would ride their horses from the Presidio in San Fransisco for a summer assignment in Yosemite and Sequoia National Park. Some of these troops were the Buffalo Soldiers that Ranger Shelton Johnson has worked hard to document and share their story (http://shadowsoldier.wilderness.net/). Wawona was the original site of their encampment, Camp A.E. Wood.

Some of my finest memories of the History Center are of John Clark, a man passionate about the history of Yosemite, especially the Cavalry. For several decades, John would ride his motorcycle from his home in Yosemite West to the History Center (not bad for a man in his eighties). John would trade his motorcycle gear for that of a military officer, Colonel Harry C. Benson, one of the military superintendents of the park. John loved to share the stories of Yosemite with visitors to the History Center. I miss John's stories. I miss his passion for the History Center. Heck, I even miss arguing with him!

John passed away several years ago. His memorial service was held on the porch of this building that he loved so much.   John J. Clark, we salute you!

4 comments:

  1. I miss him, too. I don't ever go into this building without thinking of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I met this guy once a long time ago. He told me he was a descendent of Galen Clark. Is this the same guy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never met anyone who made that claim. But if you had met John, you probably would not have forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure this is the same guy. MANY years ago there was a gift shop/book store at the Pioneer History Center over by where the carriages are and this guy, John Clark, worked in there. He told Carol & me that he was the great grant-nephew of Galen Clark. Perhaps he was pulling our collective legs! (?)

    ReplyDelete